Thursday, June 13, 2013

Homemade Shaving Cream










    Today was one of those days where its raining and just don't have much motivation. So I thought it would be a good day to try and make this homemade shaving cream recipe that I found on Pinterest. (http://everydayroots.com/homemade-shaving-cream) It seemed simple enough. Coconut oil, shea butter, olive oil, baking soda and essential oils ( if you have some). I used Sweet Orange. If your making it for the man in your life peppermint would be a great choice. So lets get started.

                                                                              I was inspired to make homemade shave cream because I have been trying to change up my personal care. No more shampoo and conditioner ( baking soda and apple cider vinegar, Ill post about that soon) and changed my body wash over to the Honest Company Brand( https://www.honest.com/ a great company that has a lot of wonderful products. Highly recommend). So Shaving was one of those last things especially because my legs look like the picture after shaving with store bought brand the other day (no rhyme or reason just random razor burn). Thus my inspiration!

Ingredients:
2/3 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup of shea nut oil or shea butter ( I used closer to 1/3 of a cup of shea butter because it was kinda pricey)
1/4 cup of olive oil or grape-seed oil (I used olive)
10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil (I used sweet orange, but essential oil is not necessary)
2 Tb of baking soda

Firstly you combine your coconut oil and shea butter in a small pot and bring to medium heat. Once combination is melted add your olive oil and your essential oil. it should look like this.


Give your oils a few stirs then pour them into a small container and place in your fridge. Mine took about 2 hours to set up, so if you did this part in the morning then came back later on and set it out for a bit that should be fine too!



Once your oils have set up they should look like this --->


It doesn't look like much but it fluffs up pretty nicely! At this stage you use your standing mixer or your hand held mixer and start you fluff! This is also when you add your 2 Tb's of baking soda.




This is your final product!


   Looks good enough to eat right!?

I have no used the product yet. I plan on it tomorrow, so I will post in the comments below about how that goes. It was fun and easy to make. If you decide to make your own, let me know. I would love to hear what oils you choose and how it turns out!






No comments:

Post a Comment